Monday, July 23, 2012

Womb-mate Wanted! (My TTC story thus far)

My DH and I met in the spring of 2006 while studying at the same college. From day one I knew this was it, this was love. I could not begin to describe what the past 6 1/2 years have meant to me by just having him in my life. He is my best friend, my supporter, my most honest critic, and my teammate. Everything we have accomplished together up till now has been challenging but rewarding. I'd like to take this moment to express how much I love my DH.  We as women during our TTC journey so often forget that this journey has two travelers and that the relationship you have with your significant other should never be forgotten during this time. He is not just a baby-making machine!

Continuing on....
We maintain a long distance relationship for a couple of years which is never easy for those who have tried it. Finally after 4 years of dating & 1 year of co-habitating my DH proposed. We were married last year on a very hot day in July. It was the best day of our lives.
Shortly before we were married (on my birthday to be precise) we decided to throw our lives "to the wind" and light the last box of condoms we had on fire. After all, we were to be married soon and we both wanted to be young-ish parents. We didn't expect it to happen very soon and if it did we would be happy either way.
Well, we were right. It didn't happen soon.
In fact it still hasn't happen.

Month after month went by. During my 4th cycle I had my regular checkup with the OBGYN and my first transvaginal ultrasound (which can only be described as being raped by a robot). Ok, I'll be honest; it was my first pap smear ever! What can I say? I didn't have health insurance in my early twenties.
Since my OBGYN said I was fine I figured just keep swimming!
Well the rest of the months passed by pretty quickly. I joined forums, learned how to chart my BBT, used preseed, Sperm meets egg plan (I'll go into that in another post) and hell even had a few months here and there were I did nothing but knock back a few drinks and pretended to have a one night stand.

Flash forward to my birthday this year. I sit with a beautiful pink cold stone's ice cream cake in front of me, trying to hold back my tears because my last birthday wish never came true.
Since then we have started working with an R.E. (reproductive endocrinologist). You go to this person when no one else can help you. They're in the know; they've got the good stuff. So far I have had blood work done, an HSG (hysterosalpingography) and my DH has had a Semen Analysis done. If I have time I will have to get him to recount that story, it was pretty dam funny and I couldn't do it justice.

I'm currently in the horrible, hellish 2WW wait period of my 13th cycle. If no baby, then my R.E. gets a follow-up appt. with us to discuss our fertility testing results and treatment options.
In the next post I'll go into a bit more detail about the testing that was done and so forth.
So that's our story in a nutshell for now. Please stay tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment