Friday, November 15, 2013

Give a little bit....


It's that time of the year again. You know, when its not even Thanksgiving yet and Christmas is everywhere? And of course I'm ready to explode with Christmas cheer everywhere because I am its #1 fan :)

Falalalala..lala..la..la

 
Now onto the point of my post. I've done quite a bit of thinking recently and I told my husband that in lieu of my Christmas gift this year, I want him to take the funds he would have spent and donate it to a charity of my choice.

Now let me clarify. I'm not trying to achieve saint-hood or win most humanitarian of the year award so I hope none of you rolled your eyes at me just now. I highly enjoy receiving gifts as I do giving them.

I'm simply trying to fulfill a very real life goal of mine; to just be a decent human being. I feel like this can be achieved by being a good example to my son and genuinely wanting to help people in need any way I can.

 I don't make a lot of money but our basic needs are met. I am currently living in a 1 bedroom apartment (which is slowly starting to feel a lot smaller) and supporting my DH through his last semester of completing his master's in teaching. This being said, I want for nothing and because of this I feel I have plenty to give.

 
I have such a big issue with gifts and certain sides of our families around this time. I'm just sick and tired of losing enjoyment from my beloved holiday over worrying about how many gifts I have to buy this year. Call this an ulterior motive if you will, but I want the real magic of this holiday back.

 
Well thankfully my DH thought this was a fantastic idea and decided to follow in my footsteps (love him!). Come Christmas morning he'll be getting a card from me filled with mushy love sonnets about how I adore his very essence. Maybe even a naughty picture or two ;)
However, I don’t want to stop just there, I want to do more. So as part of my donation present I also plan to not turn down ANY requests for donations from here till at the very least end of the year. Whatever I have I will give. For example, today McDonalds asked if I wanted to give a dollar donation and I said “of course!”

 
I normally don't turn down these requests but I'll admit I have said no a few times.
So Santa's, pet shelters, charity drives, girl scouts, etc. beware! I'm coming for you! J

 
Please feel free to share with me your Christmas plans, favorite charities or other ways my soul can continue on giving.

 
Humbly quaking on,
~JD


 

No comments:

Post a Comment